Alkaline Zucchini Lasagne Spirals
Author: Leisa Armstrong.
- 3 large or 4 medium zucchinis
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 6 large mushrooms
- ½ medium cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500g tomato pasta sauce (no added sugar)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Optional – sea salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups almond milk, unsweetened
- Thinly slice the zucchini into fine, long strips (a mandoline set to 3-4mm seems ideal). Lay each strip on a board and sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to allow the zucchini to sweat, patting the moisture off before turning and repeating with the next side.
- Finely dice the onion, mushroom, cauliflower, carrot, celery and garlic into a fine mince (I use a pull chopper to make this super quick and easy).
- In a frypan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the “mince” mixture until the cauliflower, carrot and onion softens, then add the tomato pasta sauce and spinach. Simmer until the sauce thickens, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add the flour and nutritional yeast, stirring until the oil is absorbed and the flour forms a roux. Cook the roux stirring constantly for approximately 1 minute, then add ½ cup of the almond milk. Whisk the roux and milk together until it thickens, then repeat 3 times. Once the sauce is quite thick, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a 25cm square oven dish, spread approximately ½ cup of the tomato mixture over the base.
- Assemble the zucchini rolls by layering each slice of zucchini with 1 tablespoon of white sauce and 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce.
- Carefully roll up each zucchini slice and place them standing in the baking dish, using each roll to hold each other together, repeat until the dish is full.
- If there is any of either sauce left, spread it over the rolls. The rolls are by no means meant to be perfect, messy works perfectly.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the zucchini is cooked and slightly brown.
Alkalising, Vegetarian, Vegan, PRAL -5.03.
Serve size: 400 g
|Average qty. per serve||Average qty. per 100 g|
|Energy||865 kJ||216 kJ|
|Protein||8.3 g (17% DI*)||2.1 g|
|Fat, total||9.0 g||2.2 g|
|– saturated||1.3 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrates||19.5 g||4.9 g|
|– sugar||10.1 g||2.5 g|
|Dietary Fibre||7.4 g (25% DI*)||1.9 g|
|Sodium||755 mg||189 mg|
|Potassium||1230 mg||307 mg|
|Magnesium||81 mg (25% RDI^)||20 mg|
|Calcium||189 mg (32% RDI^)||47 mg|
*based on an average adult diet of 8 700 kJ
^Recommended Daily Intake