Almond Meal Pizza Base
This pizza base is made predominantly from almond meal – it makes a great thin pizza base, but is not so suitable for those of you that like a thicker crust.
- 1 cup almond meal (you could grind your own, but this is really easy to find at supermarkets and health food stores).
- 1 free-range egg, beaten.
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1/8 tsp crushed garlic or powdered garlic (depends on how strong you like your garlic flavour).
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp dried herbs – try italian herbs, oregano etc.
To make the base:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a fork to a dough consistency. If you struggle a little, feel free to get in and use your hands.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Scrape the dough onto the center of the tray and roll it into a ball.
- Lightly coat another piece of baking paper with oil, place it ontop and then roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
(Alternatively, you can just push this out with your fingers, but it will make a thicker crust).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
And there you have your base! Afterwards, it’s simply a matter of adding your favourite toppings and popping it back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.