- 400g of Chickpeas (either cook them yourself, or for a quick meal use a can of prepared chickpeas)
- 1 bag of baby Spinach leaves
- 50g of pinenuts
- 1 packet of Haloumi cheese
- ½ a butternut pumpkin
- Peel the pumpkin, and dice into large thumb-size pieces. Roast these on a tray with a little drizzle of olive oil.
- When cooked, let them cool to warm temperature so they are easy to handle with your hands.
- In a dry pan, over a gentle-medium heat, roast your pinenuts until they start to take on a little colour and smell aromatic
- Wash your spinach in fresh water, and shake dry in a colander/strainer
- Slice the haloumi cheese into strips about 5-7mm thick
- In a very lightly greased pan over medium heat, grill the haloumi cheese and flip over when they have taken on some colour. Set aside
- In a large bowl, add the chickpeas, pinenuts, spinach leaves and pumpkin pieces.
- Make a simple balsamic vinaigrette or use your favourite salad dressing. My favourite however is a little balsamic vinegar with some macadamia oil (1/3 vinegar to 2/3 oil) and salt and pepper to taste
- Place the haloumi cheese on top, and serve
- For an additional zing, you can add some dukkah. This meal is highly nutritious and a great source of dietary fibre.